Tuesday, August 13, 2013

craft hoarding: Berger Beads trip


Sooo...I'm a "craft hoarder".  ~_~;  I went into Berger Beads in Downtown LA today, to get some more screw-on earring findings and a few spring-ring clasps, but I came out with $80 worth of stuff.  x~x;  But it was all *awesome*!  *.* 

 All these beads were on sale!  For the price of 4 oz of seed beads at Michaels, I got half a kilogram!  *u*  AND they're big enough to fit over my 22 guage wire!  *o*  Once I started "coloring" my wire jewelry with seed beads, I was horrified to find my previous seed bead collection was too small to fit over my equally plentiful stock of 22 guage wire.  So, instead of just going to the hardware store and buying 24 guage wire, like a sane person, I bought all these slightly larger beads instead.  I happened to be there for jewelry findings anyway!  @o@ 

 I actually feel almost like I should have gotten the 1/2 kilogram sizes for some of the other colors too, rather than restraining myself to the 4 oz. bags.  I've really come to realize how much more secure I feel, to experiment, or even to make anything, once I have an excessive, overabundant stock.  Same reason why I like cheap supplies.  I just don't feel free to experiment, otherwise.  And what is the art process but experimentation?  It's no wonder I sometimes feel too afraid to even start, without a stockpile of backup supplies, at the ready.  ~.~; 

 It's such a shame that I couldn't keep to pack-rat types of supplies:  Free things that accumulate around the house, like cardboard from cereal boxes or scrap paper.  But professionally-made supplies are just so awesome!  *o*  And the collector in me just enjoys building that stockpile.  Ironically, that comes from the same pack-rat instinct. 

No comments:

Post a Comment