Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Equestria LA 2013 and gijinka cosplay

I think I need a convention.  Just to get away from the house. 

https://equestriala.com/
 Equestria LA is going on this weekend, and my brother is thinking of going.  I don't know why he's so hesitant.  He's a total Brony.  It's in Anaheim.  He lives in Anaheim.  In fact, he's practically down the street from the hotel hosting the convention.  And he's not sure he's going?!  I think that's a crime.  In fact, I not only offered to pay for his con badge, but I'm thinking of going, just to make sure he goes. 

 I'm starting to obsess over cosplaying a gijinka version of one of the Ponies.  I'm not totally fanatical about the show, enough to have thought of cosplaying them before.  In fact, I would have never thought of myself going to a purely Pony convention before.  But it is a very well-made, fun show, and there are a few particular Ponies I think I could feel invested in cosplaying.  Like Fluttershy or Twilight Sparkle.  But I don't have the wigs or wig budget to really pull together a last-minute cosplay for those Ponies. 

 I really like the idea of cosplaying Nightmare Moon (Princess Luna).  I mean, I already have black dresses and a long blue wig.  Plus, the more I look at her first episode character design, the more she seems to be armored for battle.  That could be really cool.  So I'm messing around with sketches and hope I get around to starting the armor.  (It always takes me so long to stop being afraid to jump into a crafting project.  ;_; )  Plus, I think I'll have to use paper mache to make the helmet.  This is my first time doing paper mache since preschool (which I barely remember).  Even though everyone says that paper mache is so easy, my complete inexperience with paper mache makes it seem so daunting.  Which is ridiculous, because I've been working so comfortably with much more complex things like wire, carpentry tools, clay, sewing, etc.  Well, I've got less than a week to get over my novice fears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment