Saturday, May 4, 2013

watercolor Copics

http://fav.me/d645qao
Americat and Iggycat in my experiment of using Copics like watercolor paints.

Earlier today, a friend of mine thought one of my backgrounds was watercolor painting, but it was actually just Copic markers.  He probably thought the background was painted, because it didn't have inked outlines or pencil underdrawings. 


I wanted to try expanding that technique from backgrounds to figures, which I usually draw with outlines.
I actually did draw Americat and Iggycat with outlines, but using a Copic marker that is not detected by my scanner.  That marker is Copic FYR1 "Fluorescent Orange"; my scanner is Canon MP460.  Then, I just colored around the Fluorescent Orange outlines.

I left a lot of white space on Americat/Iggycat, so those white edges of their forms were defined by gray marker as background "shadows" or grounding.  Maybe next time, I'll completely fill their forms with a very light color, so the forms won't need gray "shadows"/grounding to contrast against the white paper. 

I'm very pleased with this technique!  ^u^  I really feel like this is something that I can do and can successfully pursue.  ^_^  And all it took was just changing how I thought about using my Copic markers.  ^___^  It's so amusing how that little mistaken perception gave me the fantastic idea to pursue this watercolor look/technique, using Copic markers.

No comments:

Post a Comment